Thursday 23 August 2012

Adventures in Chernarus

Here’s an overall recap of our adventures in Chernarus on Sunday. Obviously this is just from my POV and what I heard on comms. No doubt the various spawnies could fill out their various parts in thisthrilling tale!

VW had spotted a guy with an ATV and waited for an opportune moment to steal it, which he did successfully. I was on a fresh spawn near Electro, so nipped in to get some basics and then headed NE and rendezvoused VW (1). The ATV had some gear in it, nothing special and was in good working order except for the engine, so we checked a few industrial units on our way to Polana (2), where I went to the supermarket and a few other buildings to gather supplies whilst VW watched over the ATV. I found a tent so we decided to try and find a good spot to make a base, as we both had to log soon.





I figured that the forest at Blunt Rocks with Willow and Black lakes may make a good base, with no buildings around for quite a distance but within reach of Berezino and the NE airfield at Krasnotav. So we headed up there, taking the wrong road out of Polana, which confused us for a while before getting back on course.

We reached the east coast and were heading N, and I went afk to get ready as I had to log. I came back 5 mins later to find my screen greyed out and was bleeding. VW informed me he’d driven passed a player camp with a truck and someone had opened fire (3). VW sped on and I took a bullet in the back. Bandages and blood was administered then I had to log out. We’d put the tent in the ATV so I reminded VW to get it out in case it didn’t save.

VW logged back in and came under fire, taking damage. The player from the camp had obviously tracked us north. The guy run to flank round him but VW opened up with his AK and took the guy out before losing consciousness, then ALT-F4’d. He gave me a call and let me know what happened.

I came back an hour or so later and VW was still offline, I waited another hour or so before impatience got the better of me and I logged in. I was cautiously moving around with my Lee Enfield, couldn’t see anyone and I couldn’t find the ATV but I did find a tent with a bike about 100m from where we’d logged. There was just a GPS in the tent which I took. I then took a wide circle inland, round the lakes and rocks into the area where I figured we’d driven to.
That’s when I found the truck. It was absolutely rammed with gear, 5 DMRs, L852 AWS, assault rifles, machine guns, alice packs, night vision goggles, range finders, tons of stuff. This was quite some find and my adrenaline seemed to start pumping – I was expecting to get ganked any second! I jumped in the truck and started driving through the forest heading N. Found what I thought would be a good place to hideout at around (4).

I updated VW with the good news. Of course, he was in a bad place, on about 3k blood and unconscious. I’d marked the point where I’d logged out with my waypoint, and was now about 1.5km away. We had a chat about what we should do next. So should I run back to try and save him? Drive down with the truck? Figure that it was unlikely I’d find him and best just let him die and respawn?

Taking on the ‘Leave no one behind’ mantra, I headed back down with the truck. VW logged in briefly, and was under the ATV - the player from the camp had thrown a grenade and the ATV had been caught in the blast. I searched the area and managed to find the ATV (5), it was a wreck and very difficult to spot as with no wheels it was much lower to the ground and being burnt out, the colours also blended in with the surroundings even better than it does with its normal camo.

Then we got dc’d – it was a server restart. I logged back in first and the ATV had miraculously been repaired! I shifted it forward a little then went back to the spot to await VW spawning back in his life threatening condition. He appeared with the hourglass of unconsciousness running, bleeding out and I was unable to select him to apply bandages for what seemed ages, but then I was able to and stopped the bleeding with him on a few hundred blood. A transfusion followed, I jumped in the truck and he followed me N with the ATV. We took a breather back at around (4) and VW equipped from the truck.
By this point MM and Flight had logged in. MM who logged out after a NW airfield mission had been teleported to Kamenka and Flight was up near Devil’s Castle. So we arranged to pick Flight up (6) as we drove along the top of the map heading W. MM was going to start heading N, but there was the hope Appy would log in, as he too had been teleported to Kamenka the night before, and had broken legs, had no meds, so needed help. Luckily he logged in within a few mins – must have been some spawny ESP thing… MM was able to get him back on his feet and they set off N together.

The overall plan was to take the truck all the way W, then head S and find a good spot for a base west of Zelenogorsk.

We’d used quite a bit of fuel, so were going to need to fill the jerry cans up. Adam logged in and was up in the vicinity, so started making his way N. Flight was charged with the mission of taking the ATV to pick Adam up, then to swing by a fuelling station (7) NW of Grishino, fill the jerry cans up and get back to us safely. After various encounters with zombies, both Adam and full jerry cans were loaded onto the ATV. Not long later, they met back up with VW and I, the truck was refuelled and we set off west again. It was now getting dark, so night vision goggles were being used to drive through the woods safely.

Along our route, we picked up Koyote and not long after, he spotted some tents in the woods to the south. We stopped to investigate and they were well loaded with top end gear. Koy got a ghillie suit and the Coyote backpack (biggest in the game). We then set off again.

Meanwhile, MM and Appy were making good progress heading N. They lucked out and found a player camp with a few tents, full of gear (9). They tooled up with a few pieces and set off again. About 5 minutes of travelling N, suddenly without warning Appy heard a few silenced (or distant) shots and was killed. Seconds later MM was also taken out.

Such is Day Z that you don’t know where the shots came from or who fired them. They were both somewhat narked, and logged off.

We decided to stick with the plan and continued west until we hit the road just west of Skalka (8). I drove onto the road and after about 100m suddenly saw muzzle flash from a single gun in some trees to the road, I swerved to the right but was killed along with Flight. VW following on the ATV, took evasive manoeuvres but was also killed. Koy and Adam managed to get out of the vehicles in one piece and Koy took out our assailant. In the panic, Adam incorrectly identified Koy as an enemy and shot him in the back. Another Blue on Blue victim!

So from the highs of our discoveries of incredible gear and vehicles, we were now down to one man, with everyone else on fresh spawns on the south coast, miles away… Adam secured the truck and took position to guard it. The rest of us started the long trek back to try and recover our gear.

Adam must have been feeling himself in a pretty strange place. He’d just taken out a buddy and was on his own in the dark, not knowing whether our attacker had squad mates in the area or on there way… Sure enough, it wasn’t long before he spotted people, and was then under fire. Outnumbered and outgunned, unfortunately he couldn’t protect the truck and was unable to make it out in one piece.

So all of us had wound up dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment